The teenager behind the deadly attack on the NSW Police headquarters has been hailed as a “knight” of the Islamic State by supporters of the terrorist group as authorities scramble to track the movements of his sister.
Federal and state police are understood to be investigating whether Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar’s elder sister, in her 20s, has travelled to either Syria or Iraq, after leaving Australia the day before the attack in western Sydney, and if Jabar had links with British extremists.
But police on Tuesday afternoon refused to confirm if they were investigating a report that friends of the dead student had claimed the 15-year-old met with two men about 45 minutes before the attack, after leaving a Parramatta mosque.
The developments come after a fellow student from Jabar’s Arthur Phillip High School in Parramatta was charged on Tuesday after he allegedly posted on social media that he hoped “them lil piggies get shot”, and that “merryland (sic) police station is next hope they all burn in hell”.
The 17-year-old was charged with six offences including assaulting police, resisting arrest and intimidating police.
After spending most of the day at Parramatta police station the boy and three officers left in an unmarked car, and he is expected to front a children’s court on November 9.
Claims have also emerged that Jabar’s passport had been seized before the attack on Friday, in which 58-year-old NSW police accountant Curtis Cheng was shot dead in front of the State Crime Command in Parramatta.
“Farhad Muhammad. His family had been raided several times, his mother humiliated, his passport taken …” an Islamic State supporter claimed on social media.
The Australian Federal Police, NSW Police, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Attorney-General’s Department were contacted for comment regarding claims about the passport.
“They were under constant surveillance so our brother, Farhad, took a stand and attacked a Police HQ,” the same Islamic State supporter, who AAP has chosen not to identify, posted on social media.
The person tweets in English and Arabic and appears to have connections to Britain.
“Allah accept our brother Farhad Mohammed – 15 years old. Killed one officer. Then got shot, to his shahada inshallah,” he continued.
“He struck terror right in the HEART of the disbelievers.”
While authorities, including the AFP and NSW Police, have refused to officially comment on details around the sister, a senior officer involved in the investigation has reportedly confirmed she left Australia for Turkey the day before the shooting.
“Federal police are now looking into her movements,” an officer involved in the investigation told News Corp.
“It appears she flew to Singapore then on to Istanbul. Why she was going has not been established.”
NSW Premier Mike Baird would not say on Tuesday if police had made progress in finding the sister.
“Those people that have undertaken any inciting or any encouragement to undertake such a horrendous crime, I can assure you we will track them down and they will face the full consequences of the law,” he said.
Supporters of Islamic State have praised the deadly attack, extolling Jabar on social media as a “knight” who had carried out a mission on behalf of the terrorist group.
Abu Layth At-Tamimi, who appears to be in Syria or Iraq, wrote: “Farhad Mohammed a knight of this Ummah [Islamic nation] carried out a mission to honour his deen … only 15 subhan [glorious] Allah May Allah accept you!”
Arthur Phillip High School started the new term on Tuesday with a sombre assembly that addressed Friday’s shooting.
Some students expressed disbelief while others said they were now “frightened” and “shaken”.
One student reportedly said they were “scared that there’s more kids at school that are like that”.