Stocco fugitives had no chance: police

Fugitives Gino and Mark Stocco, who had been on the run from authorities for eight years, had no chance of escaping from the NSW farm where they were eventually caught, police say.


The Queensland father-and-son pair were tracked to an Elong Elong property in central west NSW and arrested on Wednesday by heavily armed officers who had been hiding at the property since Tuesday.

Following the Stoccos’ arrests, detectives discovered the body of a 68-year-old Italian farmer who had been missing for more than three weeks.

NSW Police say the man is known to them.

The property, called Pinevale, is still a crime scene and officers will spend Thursday combing its 385 hectares.

Police won’t confirmed whether or not any weapons or ammunition have been found.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Clint Pheeney said on Thursday the rural property was known to police.

“We confirmed that both persons were on the premises and we moved in,” Mr Pheeney told Nine Network on Thursday.

“There was no way they were ever going to get off that property.

“We were aware that both those fellows had previously worked on the property, so we conducted some covert surveillance.”

Mr Pheeney said the pair were initially non-compliant, with one of the men allegedly refusing to take his hands out of his pockets.

“We are dealing with people that we believe may be armed … because of that there was a few injuries received, but nothing serious,” he said.

Gino, 57, and Mark, 36, have been charged with an array of offences, including murder, dishonestly obtaining property by deception, police pursuit and discharging a firearm with intent to resist arrest.

Police had previously revealed intentions to charge the duo with 13 offences, including attempted murder in relation to allegations they fired shots at police in Wagga Wagga on October 16.

The pair were also wanted on warrants for property damage in Queensland dating back to 2008.

They have been refused bail to appear in Dubbo Local Court on Thursday.